Department of Geology
Geology is the study of the earth from its interior to the surface, including all the processes that have created and shaped our planet since its formation, and the history of its life.
The Department of Geology was established in November 2012 at the main campus of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto University, Sheringal Dir (U). It offers a B.S. 4-years degree of Geology. The program is designed to address issues of applied geosciences with a focus on natural resources particularly the petroleum sector, mineral sector, geological hazards, engineering and environmental geology. The department is very important because of being situated in an area, which has high prospects for geological research and improvement of economic mineral deposits and many other natural resources.
The unique geographical location of our department in Dir (Upper) provides an excellent opportunity and a magnificent natural laboratory to learn about the geological processes in a real-time active mountainous setting. It provides an ideal setting for studying many aspects of geology being located in the midst of some of the finest geologic settings in the world, with examples of essentially all major geological settings in close proximity.
The specific mission of the Geology Department is to provide students with the abilities to:
- Understand geology focusing on the outdoor academic learning and research that combines field work with the latest technology in the field of geology.
- Demonstrate competence in scientific inquiry, writing, and oral presentation.
- Getting employed in geology-related fields, or able to continue further education in their relevant fields.
- Contribute in search of hydrocarbons, minerals, and water resources.
- Engage in the remediation of environmental hazards, and prevention and/or prediction of natural disasters such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, landslides, erosion and floods.
- Demonstrate competence in relevant field methods, computer applications, and laboratory methods.
- Critically discuss issues related to geology that affect our society through assisting in better planning.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERION FOR ADMISSION IN B.S. 4-YEARS GEOLOGY PROGRAM
Intermediate Science (or Equivalent) with minimum 2nd Division from the following groups:
- Pre-Medical Group
- Pre-Engineering Group
- Other Groups (studied at least two subjects from the following:
Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics)