Department of Animal Science
Animal sciences are the study of animals in controlled management utilized for the prosperity of mankind. Department of Animal Sciences has responsibility of enhancing livestock performance particularly in alpine rangelands through joint collaboration of academia, researchers, relevant government departments, NGO’s and progressive farmers. Establishment of model poultry and dairy farm is an initiative step by this department. Practical demonstration of poultry, quail, duck, rabbit and dairy farming, improving local sustainable livestock production system, minimizing limitations and providing technical assistance in “livestock as enterprise” is key responsibilities of this department. This department is planning to provide a platform for progressive farmers to link them directly with national and internationalpoultry and livestock market through Dairy Science Park.
This department will work on:
- To establish a Center for teaching, research and leadership in avian and Poultry Science recognized at National and International level.
- To develop the poultry sector and make a hub for farmers and industry.
- To deal with the emerging problems and issues in the field of poultry science through advancement of the emerging technologies by active participation of the scientists and to utilize the professionals in the food security and poultry production in the country.
- Analyzing nutritive value of alpine rangelands pastures and scientifically provision of balanced ration to obtain better growth rate.
- Increasing meat cum wool/hair production potential of sheep and goats through selection and/or crossbreeding.
- Special emphasis on studying opportunities and challenges in “Improvingsheep and goat meat production potential.
- Establishment of Rabbitory as an alternate source for meat production.
- Initiation of three years para-veterinary courses.
- Initiation of one year poultry assistant diploma course and artificial insemination certificate course.
- Propagating professionalpostgraduates in the field of animal sciences with deep rooted field knowledge, scholarly vision and wisdom of understanding problems and courage of decision making.
- Provision of research facilities for poultry and livestock researchers and practical dairy farm operations to M.Phil. Ph.D scholars, educating local farmers for livestock business development, livestock marketing, available resources utilization, safeguarding animal welfare and animal rights.
- To provide a platform for researchers, educationists, technical experts, extension specialists and livestock producers for uplifting socio-economic status of livestock farmers by improving ruminant’s performance.